Friday, June 11, 2004

Who am I and why am I blogging?

There seems to be a veritable explosion of Orthodox Jewish bloggers lately, so I figured I'd step into the fray. I have some 15 years of experience in online pontificating, covering countless Usenet groups, Listservs and websites over the years, so it's about time I moved to the latest technology.



My brother told me that he recently was out of town for Shabbos, checking out a new community with his recent wife. When he introduced himself, someone asked him, "Are you the brother of Ploni Shmoni Almoni from Phoni University?" This rang funny, since he included my middle name, which I never use, and I left university 12 years ago. "Yes," replied my brother, "how do you know him?"



"Oh, I don't," he said. "I remember seeing his posts on soc.culture.jewish when he was at college."



I figure if someone can remember my sophomoric comments a decade later, I must have something worthwhile to say about the world.



Either that or I'm deluding myself again.

No comments: