Monday, June 27, 2005

Are you stationed in a Yiddish speaking country?

I've been thinking about working on my Yiddish language skills. A bit of exploring brought me to this website, which promises an effective method for learning to speak Yiddish.

I can't pass judgment on the method, which I haven't tried, since I'm still busy laughing at the website itself. Clearly the page on Yiddish has been generated automatically from a standard webpage template, producing absurdities such as the following:

Who Should Use Phrasebase

...Expatriates on overseas work assignments based in Yiddish speaking countries, Military Personnel stationed in Yiddish speaking countries, Travelers and backpackers trotting the globe and vacationers traveling abroad to immerse themselves in the Yiddish culture.

... People focused on conversational language, the ability to talk, listen and verbally communicate in Yiddish with real Yiddish people in their native language.

Yes, I figure once I brush up on my Yiddish I should plan a trip to some Yiddish speaking countries to "immerse myself in the Yiddish culture", and "communicate in Yiddish with real Yiddish people in their native language". Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

There are a few Yiddish-speaking 'micronations' in and around NYC ;-)

Dayli said...

LOL! That's hilarious :-)